The Carol Stream Fire District is committed to providing the highest level of services possible while remaining fiscally responsible.
Our fiscal year runs from June 1 through May 31 of each year. But the process begins much earlier:
- January Preliminary budgeting process begins within the District
- April Tentative budget presented to Board of Trustees
- Tentative budget available for public review
- May Public hearing held during a Board of Trustees meeting
- Board votes on Budget and Appropriations (B&A) Ordinance
- Approved, signed copy of B&A ordinance is filed with County Clerk for DuPage County within 30 days of adoption
- Budget is published in local paper within 30 days of adoption
Once the fiscal year has ended, the District has an audit performed by an independent, certified public accounting firm. Those results are presented to the Board of Trustees, usually at the October meeting.
Certificate of Excellence in Financial Reporting
The Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting has been awarded to the Carol Stream Fire Protection District, by the Government Finance Officers Association of the united States and Canada (GFOA) for is comprehensive annual financial report (CAFR). The Certificate of Achievement is the highest form of recognition in the area of governmental accounting and financial reporting, and its attainment represents a significant accomplishment by a government and its management.
An Award of Financial Reporting Achievement has been awarded to the individual(s) department or agency designated by the government as primarily responsible for preparing the award-winning CAFR. This has been presented to the Carol Stream Fire Protection District, Illinois.
The CAFR has been judged by an impartial panel to meet the high standards of the program including demonstrating a constructive "spirit of full disclosure" to clearly communicate its financial story and motivate potential users and user groups to read the CAFR.
The GFOA is a nonprofit professional association serving approximately 17,500 government finance professionals with offices in Chicago, IL, and Washington D.C.
You can find detailed financial reports here.